Monday, February 6, 2012

Geography, Focus and Strategy

Way back in 2007, in Bicoastal Trading…Or Are You Trading in the Right Time Zone? I offered some thoughts on my experience trading on the West Coast versus the East Coast. At the time, I speculated that the Mountain Time Zone might be the best place to have a trading life that was seamlessly interwoven with the rest that life has to offer.

In the intervening years, I have made a few trips to Hawaii and am now convinced that at least for those who are content being an end-of-day trader, Hawaii may indeed be the ideal trading paradise – and certainly one with the most alluring geography dividend.

Last month, when I was taking some time away (or mostly away) from the markets, it struck me how much geography has influenced what I focus on, what and how I trade, and more broadly what strategies I implement.

When I am on the East Coast, for instance, I place much more emphasis on the European markets and economic data that is released just before or after the opening bell. I am much more likely to trade futures and focus my attention on the many blue chips whose earnings are released before the market opens. I may even break with tradition and turn on CNBC. In short, I have a much greater BMO focus.

By contrast, when I am on the West Coast, I find that I focus more on the Asian markets (checking in before I go to bed), trade a preponderance of West Coast technology stocks that generally report after the markets are closed and also find myself trading in the after-hours session much more often.

In Hawaii, everything is different. The markets close at 11:00 a.m. (10:00 a.m. during daylight savings time) and my routine switches to glancing at the markets, going out for a run, checking to see if the markets are relatively quiet when I return, showering and going for breakfast, then making any position adjustments just prior to the closing bell. All strategies become end of day strategies and short-term trades are much more likely to be multi-day swing trades than day trades.

In a nutshell, my geography determines where (and when) I focus my attention, and that focus has important implications for what I trade, when I trade it and what my anticipated holding period is for each position. Strategy, therefore, becomes a byproduct of geography.

There is nothing like Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time to put the world in a different perspective and to serve as a reminder that no matter where you are – either as a visitor or with roots firmly in the ground – it is important to match your strategies and focus to your geography and time zone.

Related posts:

[Future naked options sellers line up for another grueling day of work at Shipwreck Beach, Kauai]

Disclosure(s): none

blog comments powered by Disqus
DISCLAIMER: "VIX®" is a trademark of Chicago Board Options Exchange, Incorporated. Chicago Board Options Exchange, Incorporated is not affiliated with this website or this website's owner's or operators. CBOE assumes no responsibility for the accuracy or completeness or any other aspect of any content posted on this website by its operator or any third party. All content on this site is provided for informational and entertainment purposes only and is not intended as advice to buy or sell any securities. Stocks are difficult to trade; options are even harder. When it comes to VIX derivatives, don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because you can ride a horse, you can ride an alligator. Please do your own homework and accept full responsibility for any investment decisions you make. No content on this site can be used for commercial purposes without the prior written permission of the author. Copyright © 2007-2023 Bill Luby. All rights reserved.
 
Web Analytics